Lunar gospel - Tutorial

Hi! So recently the new dr grip play balances came out and I wanted to make a mod with them. My main objective was to have an interesting construction and for the metal tubes to be visible, so I decided to make it fully translucent. This is not the simplest, nor the best mod that can be made with the new weights. In the end, you can use them as tips in "common" constructions like KT. But I thought that by making something different I could inspire someone to try and make new designs by themselves as well ^^

The name is because I was inspired by the mod Venus Gospel when designing this. The caps ended up being longer and I ended up removing the other side of the grip so now the grips are not as similar to that, but I still like this name.

The pen is 21.5 cm long and quite heavy, although I don't have a scale to measure that. It's also very cheap aside from the playbalances

MATERIALS:
2 frixion light (caps)
2 daiso DIY pens (bodies)
1 dr grip playbalance (1 overgrip, 2 weights + 1 extra dr grip overgrip, which can be from a playbalance or any spare that you have at home)
1 bic round stic grip (grey body)

I recommend being very careful with the cuts, and sanding everything very flat and to a very fine grit. Keep in mind that this mod is transparent so every mistake (even scratching the caps on the inside with some dust after sanding) will be visible

NOTICE ABOUT THE CAPS
In my version I used the frixion light natural color caps. However, there are some letters on the cap and when erasing them, the cap became a bit cloudier on that area. Later I found these other ones, that have no writings on the cap and, in principle, should be identical to the ones I used. I definitely recommend to use the ones without writing on them.

STEPS:
1: cut the daiso body to 7.45 cm from the "bump" on the front (see picture)
2: remove the felt tip and sand the front of the daiso bodies until the metal weight fits on top of it. I put some tape over the tip and used a small triangular file to sand the front flat.The metal weight should fit tightly on top and should be flush with the rest of the body
3: cut the frixion caps to 3.2 cm from the open end. To do this, I removed the clip, placed some tape at the correct length and then cut the cap with a box cutter. If you have a dremel, then you can use that, but a tube cutter will probably not be able to cut this correctly.

After cutting the cap, sand it so that it's flush, remove any burr that may have formed on the inside with an x acto knife and clean the inside of the cap so that there is no plastic dust. If you don't clean it properly, you will scratch it when putting it on top of the body.

4: put the weights on the daiso bodies and the caps over both of these. I put the cap cut side first so that the cap tapers out. It's very tight but with one or two light hammer hits you should get them in. 

*Sorry I have no pictures of this step but you can check this one. 
5: cut the dr grip overgrips to ~3.5cm from the tip side and put them over the caps. I used a bit of ceramic bicycle lubricant to place them more easily.

(Note: you can't use olive oil or similar cooking oils since they go rancid, and other lubricants may become black or yellow with time so be careful with what you use)

6: cut 2.8 cm of the back of the bic round stic and connect both bodies

And you've finished! It's not a hard mod to make, but it's a hard mod to make cleanly. Sorry about the lack of photos, I forgot to take more when modding last weekend.

Comments